Thursday, March 01, 2007

Ekbalam Ruins


OK
, to start off with we need to go back to Cozumel because Dee said that I forgot to put up a picture of Pancho on his first Boogie board lesson..So here he is...

This is My new RED bathing suit and Juan Diego helping Pancho on his boogie board. OK, truth be told (and Juan Diego would correct me) is that Pancho is borrowing the boogie board from the kids. He enjoyed it though. He actually went out about three times and rode it in by himself each time.

















Now for today.

We had decided to go to Chichen Itza today, but as usual we changed our minds and ended up going to Ekbalam instead.

Ekbalam Ruins


The enormous elaborate Acropolis pyramid, located inside the Mayan site of Ek Balam, is a striking sight after driving miles through the surrounding jungle. Ek Balam, which means black jaguar, was at the height of its importance as a city during the Late Classic period (600-900 A.C.). When the Maya abandoned the site, it went under cover, literally, as the dense low-lying jungle of the Yucatan engulfed it. As with all of the Mayan pyramids, these were discovered when archaeologists and adventurers saw a group of hills with trees and brush growing out of them. Digging in the mounds, they uncovered treasures of buildings and artifacts hidden for hundreds of years.


















This is my chuckie sitting in a door way on the top of the world!! (I asked him to sit there so I could get the picture.)















This is a view from the top of where chuck is sitting in the door.















This is the other view from the bottom of where chuck is sitting. I told chuck that I did not think that these stones have been used much as there not smooth. They are still uneven and bumpy on top. I thought with all the peoples walking on them that they would be smoother. Chuck just laughed at me. He said they all went barefooted so they were not able to wear down the stones. Well, he must be correct in some way, they are a people who are very slim and small in stature, so he might have a point there. Think so??
















No, this is not some big sex toy sticking out of the earth. (That was for my Daughter, I know she thinks like me) It is some sort of carving with idols and stuff on it.















This is some of the carvings. It is amazing that one could carve this hundreds and hundreds of years ago and it not only still looks good, but that they actually DID it out of stone.
















Now, on this picture your probably wondering what the heck it is. I will put the whole thing together so you can see how tall this carving is and it is all out of stone. It is some sort of temple.
















Nope, not working. Sorry. I thought I could put three pictures besides each other (top on top) and it would work out, but it did not. Notice these carving. Look close, click on this sucker so you can see how these carving look. You will appreciate the workman ship these people did, especially the "3-D" statues.




















This is the entrance of the temple. Yeah, I do not think they had a screen door on the entrance, but Now it is there to keep tourist out. Notice the teeth going into the building??















Beautiful is it not!!
















Hay!! I walked up there. Both chuck and I did. You can walk up that whole set of steps and come to NOTHING. They have it blocked off so you can not go to the top. However, the view is worth the climb anyway. It is very windy up there and I actually had to sit down as I got Dizzy. I do not do high things very well. Yeah, it is a flaw of the Irish. That is why we build castles in Ireland. So the women could be put in LONG ass skirts and could not climb the steep step's down. Wishing we were all like responceabel (you know, that fairy tale with the girl with the long hair and she dropped it so her dude could climb up to her) we would look down the castle window's and get so scared we would go back into the room like good little girls. Yes, this is the mind of DeeDee.....hay, it works for me!!!




















OH, OH, you guys, this was so cool!!! Look, a shell embedded in a stone making up the steps to this castle climb above. This is a prehistoric shell I will have you all know. There before any of us people older than dirt were born......let me tell you....THIS is COOL.















I took this picture on top of the castle so you all could see the prospective. The two little guys down there was some really nice Italian guys we met, and they are about as big as chuck. (Around 6 feet I think)














This is a nice shot is it not?? These people sure had a good plan when they planned there city.















This is a picture of the whole thing on top of the castle. OK, I know it is not really a castle, but it is the highest building there and I like to refer to the biggest as the castle. DeeDee logic.














Wow, I must of missed this view. Chuck took this picture of the back side of the one where he is in the door way while I was walking through tunnels (streets is what they referred to back then, but to me they are narrow passages that if covered, would be a tunnel. These are so close together they are cool. Chuck did not post any pictures of them, so I will just tell you about them. (Actually, if we wanted to post all the pictures I thought were worthy, you all would be hear until ya got bored
















I took this picture of my sweetie walking up the castles steps. Steep suckers and narrow also.

















Another ruin.















This is a good shot of how the contractors gave a bit of spiff to their work. I think it was pretty cool. Creative















This is another view of how it looks. Nice the way they layered the brick and gave a pattern to everything. I also love the tiering of this front wall. Wonder what they would charge now days to do that to a home. Back then it was easy to get your contractor to do what you wanted. If he did not, then tell the priest and your contractor would be disemboweled. Hay, not only were fair maidens stabbed to death. Actually very few maidens were unless they were butt ugly. Mostly it was men, they needed the women to screw, clean up for them, cook, worship them, raise the children, do laundry......yeah, things haven't changed much in a few thousand years. (ha ha, it is a joke people...don't get all mushy faced!!!)




















This is a Dog about to be sacrificed to the Mayan gods. She is in position waiting for her fate as she understands that her death will avenge the DOG QUEEN GOD and then all the dog's in the Yucatan will have food, no mange and a loving home. (Yeah, if SHE knew the truth!!)















OK, enough of my bad humor. Tomorrow we move to another place and will spend three days exploring the ruins and a couple of cenote's and a cave. So until then, kiss each other and give everyone you like a hug.
The End.






No comments: